I’d like some feedback on an item for a campaign that is currently at level 10.
Arcane Duelist’s Ward
As a bonus action, the bearer can speak a command word to cause two intricately inscribed stones into rise into the air for the next minute, shimmering into arcane shields. Two spinning shields of force orbit the bearer, catching their magical aura and whirring ever faster as they cast spells for the next minute.
While in use, if the bearer is attack they can spend a reaction to make an arcana check dc of the attack roll. If the user succeeds, the whirling shields halt in the precise instant to deflect the blow, suddenly impenetrable walls of force. The shields diminish and cease rotating afterwards, but pick up speed again if the user casts at least three levels worth of spells. Similarly, expending 3 levels worth of spells once the duration is complete will recharge it for use.
Intended gameplay: There is an essence of martial skill to controlling the shields. The arcana roll makes for higher highs and lower lows, and incentivizes are riskier fast spell slinging style of combat to recharge the shield. I’d love some feedback.
- This is for a single attack, and does not persist unlike shield.
- The dc blocked is unrelated to your current AC, it is purely arcana control.
- The spell levels do not need to come from one spell, it is cumulative.
- arcana check dc of the attack roll (up to 25).
- dispel magic will discharge the stones, dropping them from the air.