One of my players is trying to find loopholes to make lots of money without having to work. His latest idea is as follows:
- Get a ton of low-to-mid-level NPCs willing (or “willing”) to waste a lot of their time.
- Ensure that all of them have ranks in Craft (books) (any other craft skill will work as well), whether by training them or using a headband of vast intelligence. The player in question is absurdly good at crafting items, so supplying these guys with a crate full of headbands isn’t a massive roadblock.
- Have one of them “practice [his] trade and make a decent living, earning half [his] check result in gold pieces per week of dedicated work.”.
- Have the rest of them (say, 100 others) use aid another to give him a +2 on his check each. Assume that they’re guaranteed to succeed, by combining ranks and possibly skill focus.
- The main crafter gets about +200 on his craft check, which he probably gets around a 15 on.
- The main crafter makes about 108 gp.
The amount of gold you can make on this is directly proportional to how many NPCs you get ahold of:
- 100 NPCs: ~108 gp
- 150 NPCs: ~158 gp
- 200 NPCs: ~208 gp
With 100 guys working away, he can make ~5,635 gp/year without doing anything. He can probably convince them not to need any money, whether by dominating them or being very charismatic or some other means of convincing them to spend their lives making money for him.
I can’t really think of a reason why he shouldn’t be able to do this, given that all he’s really done is invent massive sweatshops, but I would like to ensure that there’s nothing disallowing it.