Some backstory: this is already in play. We play a homebrew space campaign. My DM is very lenient and the table doesn’t care all that much about balance as long as everyone has fun. Surprisingly, the Four-Armed trait rarely comes into play so far (I’m playing a Hunter Ranger using a longbow). That said, I want to know how it stands compared to the other playable races, here are the traits:
The Virashti are a race of blue-skinned, four-armed geniuses that lives in forest cities. They have learned how to balance advancing technology while preserving nature. They have the best education system in the galaxy.
- Ability Scores Increase. Your Dexterity score increase by 2, and your Intelligence score increase by 1.
- Age. Virashti mature about the same rate as humans, but they can live up to 100 years.
- Alignment. Most Virashti are good in nature. They generally don’t have a preference towards lawful or chaotic.
- Size. Virashti range from 5 feet to over 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
- Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision. Accustomed to twilit forests and the night sky, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Four-Armed. Your morphology has grant you an extra set of arms. These arms can be used for tasks such as, performing somatic components of spells, grappling, or wielding weapons. Once per turn, you can also draw, stow, or interact with an object requiring no action, assuming you have a free hand.
When you attack with a weapon that does not have the Heavy property, you can make an off-hand attack using a separate weapon that also does not have the Heavy property using your bonus action. This off-hand attack does not add your ability modifier to the damage rolls, following the rules of two-weapon fighting.
Furthermore, you cannot use a shield while you are wielding a weapon with the Heavy property, or wielding more than one weapon simultaneously.
- Virashti Training and Knowledge. You are proficient in the Athletics or Sleight of Hand skill, and one skill of your choice from the following list: Arcana, History, Investigation, Nature, or Religion.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Virashti.
Now, obviously the big thing is that Four-Armed trait. Yes, this does mean that you can dual wield longswords (or equivalent) and rapiers right out the gate, making the Dual Wielder feat less appealing (if not obsolete). This also means that you can dual wield non-heavy two-handed weapons such as, greatclubs, light crossbows, or shortbows.
I’ve compared it to races like Aarakocra, which gets flight, and Satyrs, which gets magic resistance, and feels like this is pretty balanced, or at least comparable to them. Dual wielding shortbows is especially comparable to variant Humans picking up Crossbow Expert, if not worse.
Is this race overpowered when compared to other 5e races? And if so, how can I improve balancing this race?