The Path of the Ancestral Guardian Barbarian (Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, p. 9-10) is an extremely powerful barbarian. It pretty much makes your allies invulnerable against an enemy boss.
But it does nothing for your own health. It will greatly incentivize enemies to take you down first to be rid of your annoying Guardian benefits.
Assuming I’m currently level 3 as an Ancestral Guardian, and leveling soon to 4, my stats are average (point buy), and I have no healing from allies, what is the best way to maximize my survivability for fights to come?
- I’m willing to look into multiclassing, if there’s a valid strategy there.
- I don’t expect anyone else to grab any healing abilities.
- I’m not interested in specific magical items. (Potions and other common/uncommon magic items are fine)
- I expect the campaign to last until about level 10.
- By character level 10, I would like to have at least 6 levels of Barbarian
- Emphasis on surviving against bosses, if possible.
- Expected about 2 combat encounters per day.
If it helps refine your answer, my party consists of:
- A Champion Fighter (who is very cowardly and selfish, doesn’t tank much)
- A Fey Warlock (fairly standard, supportive player)
- An Evocation Wizard (who lives to blow stuff up)
- A Ranger/Rogue (who uses stealth and long range)