I was thinking about making a pure monk grappler build and I hope that it is possible to do without being too weak for the table.
What I want from the build:
- Pure monk build, so no multi-classing (I like challenges in building characters).
- The build needs to have good chances for any grappling check (so expertise, good attribute mod and advantage would be great).
- Besides multi-classing everything is allowed. The build doesn’t need to be AL-legal.
- Well every official release is allowed. No homebrew and no UA.
- For attributes, we use point buy.
What I’ve come up with so far:
When you can’t multi-class, you only have the choice between half-elf, half-orc and human to get expertise (with the prodigy feat).
Because I need 3 different stats, I am actually thinking about taking the basic human, to get +1 in every attribute.
Without race-mod: 13 15 11 9 15 8
With race-mod: 14 16 12 10 16 9
Sub-class: I think the best choices are Open-Hand and Shadow.
With Shadow I could disable nearly every caster that I want. (Grapple -> Silence).
With Open-Hand I could use flurry of blows, to knock my grappled enemies prone.
lvl8: +2 Str
If I could get my DM to give me a belt of strength, I could forgo the Str part entirely, but I’m not sure I can convince him.
Is there a better way to make a monk a better grappler?
Can I get advantage on Athletic checks somehow, without party assistance?