I’d appreciate it if someone could provide confirmation or correction on what I found on the support/deprecation status of browser plug-ins that are enabled by NPAPI or PPAPI. Please provide feedback on each of the following:
- As of 1st half of 2021, NPAPI plug-ins are deprecated in most major browsers including Chrome, Safari, FireFox, and Opera, but several other browsers still support them. (link)
- PPAPI plug-ins are supported by Chromium-based browsers, but the official support for PPAPI will be stopped on June 2022. (link)
- QuickTime 7.x used to be provided as a browser plug-in, but the plug-in support was deprecated from Safari 12 in 2018. From QuickTime 10.x, the plug-in is not supported. Therefore, QuickTime plug-in is deprecated. (link1, link2)
- Adobe Flash plug-in is deprecated in most major browsers, but it’s still supported as NPAPI or PPAPI plug-in by several browsers forking Chromium or FireFox. (link)
Prospect for plug-ins
- Even after official support for NPAPI or PPAI reaches end-of-life, the plug-ins might be supported by browsers forking Chromium or FireFox, or other types of browsers for backward-compatibility.