Since my question Index and statistics optimization scripts duration and log bloat problem. Looking for good strategy? has been closed because it was not focused enough I’ve three questions:
For statistics and index optimization I want to use Ola Hallengreens scripts.
- If I update statistics only or rebuild/reorganize indexes: Is there anyting dangerous by cancelling the job right in the middle of it if I see logfile becomes too big or the job takes too long and slows down daily work?
If not there is nothing I need to worry about and I can run it maybe on any evening or on a saturday and watch how it works and cancel it with no problem if some of the mentioned problems occur. Is this true?
- If I use Olas script configured like this (no offline index rebuild):
- FragmentationLevel1 = 50%
- FragmentationLevel2 = 80%
- FragmentationMedium = ‘INDEX_REORGANIZE,INDEX_REBUILD_ONLINE’
- FragmentationHigh = ‘INDEX_REBUILD_ONLINE’
- @UpdateStatistics nvarchar(max) = ‘ALL’,
- @OnlyModifiedStatistics nvarchar(max) = ‘Y’,
Can I use this safely during worktime when people are working on the database?
- Is there any dangerous by doing such maintenance jobs (statistics update/index rebuild/index reorganize) which could damage the database if I use Ola with those parameters? The only thing I’ve seen where growing a large log file. Or can I install this with no worries and if anything occurs just cancel it (see question 1)?