Recently a question has popped up in the comments of another question I’ve recently answered where a player has happened to roll three 18s and other high stats at a table with his dice, which could lead me to believe that he may be playing with a set of loaded or imbalanced dice.
Is the method presented in the youtube video How to check the balance of your d20 an accurate representation of a die’s weighting and balance and could it be used to properly and reliably test whether dice are loaded?
The video provides the following instructions for testing whether or not a die is balanced or not:
1/4 cup of hot tap water (our water is a little hard)
6 tablespoons of Epsom salt
- Put the water in a small jam jar.
- Dump 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt into the water; put the lid on it and shake it till it dissolves.
- Dump 2 more tablespoons of Epsom salt into the water; put the lid on it and shake it till it dissolves.
- Add the last 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt; microwave the water on high for 30 seconds.
- Put the lid on it and shake it till it dissolves (use a dish towel to hold this, it is hot at this point).
- Once dissolved, set the closed container in a cold water bath until it cools back down to a little cooler than the room temperature.