Shapechange allows you retain your Intelligence & class features, while taking up your new forms’ physical stats. In theory, this means that a Bladesinger could change into a Marilith and get 7 attacks with crazy modifiers using Bladesong, while having really high AC and Concentration saves.
However, a few questions came up:
- Swords Not Included™: You would need to supply 6
melee weapons rapiers to benefit get the most out of Song of Victory. How could you effectively carry these before Shapechanging, and effectively wield them afterwards?
- Assuming this goes smoothly, would your weapon attacks be at +11 to hit (+5 Dex due to finesse + 6 proficiency), or the Marilith’s +9 (which appears to be +4 from Str, due to longswords not having finesse, and +5 prof)?
- Would the damage be 6d8 + 60 for the sword attacks (w/ Song of Victory), plus 2d4 + 9 for the tail?
- Would AC be 18 + 5 (Bladesong) = 23 (+5 optionally with Shield) ; and +15 Concentration Saves?
Granted, it’s no Wish, but vs a handful of powerful targets (especially with Spellcasting), I feel like it could really bring enemies down quickly and hold the line, ideally if Hasted by a party member.
During a while of playing a 2e session with multiple 3.5e conversions, I have recently (In the past 7 years) experimenting with playing Evil campaigns and playing Monster characters such as Mind Flayers (Which I’m really good with), A Gloom (Part of an Epic Level beginning game), Baatezu, Trolls, Fairies, Sprites, Hunefers (Another Epic Level beginning Campaign), Bugbears, and a small hand full of other monsters. In this campaign, We have been going on for 2 years of gameplay, reaching levels between 64-76
- Nuetral Evil Medusa (Lvl 72 Wizard/ Archmage 5)
- Chaotic Evil Marilith Tanar’ri (Lvl 77 Warrior)
- Chaotic Evil Vrock Tanar’ri (Lvl 38 Barbarian/Lvl 34 Legendary Dreadnought)
- Chaotic Evil Succubus Tanar’ri (Lvl 66 Bard/ Lvl 2 Rouge)
- Lawful Evil Noble Efreeti (Lvl 20 Fighter/Lvl 48 Fire Elementalist)
- Neutral Evil Chameleon Greater Barghest (Lvl 56 Assassin/Lvl 20 Perfect Wight)
- Chaotic Evil Vampire Drow (Lvl 32 Blackguard/ Lvl 20 Cleric/ Lvl 24 Divine Emissiary)
- Neutral Evil Corpse Tearer Linnorm (Lvl 60 Necromancer/ Lvl 18 Dread Necromancer)
I am having a slight problem trying to figure out how to keep this diverse group together. The blood war, the personal problems, and the ambitions in the group are causing us to be a bit nervous. Each of us is having a difficult time with personal goals. During our time we have battled the armies of heavens, slaughtered many baatezu/devils, plundered villages, battled against the forces of good, fought against the harpers including battles against Mystras chosen, and basically ravaged most planes. Now after a while of our power growing, some of us have become slightly more distant from others and others have become a little suspicious of each other, causing many to create secondary plans and safeguards just in case. I do not want this to grow out of control, for this campaign is too amazing to quit. I need a solution that does not involve a common enemy (for specific reasons) or involves money. So, how should I string together this merry band?