Inspired by this question about creating gunpowder with the Creation spell.
My reading of the spell (and components) would indicate that the spell can only create an item (or multiple items1) but of a single "type". This comes from most of the description using singular form when referring to type.
From the spell description:
You pull wisps of shadow material from the Shadowfell to create a nonliving object of vegetable matter within range: soft goods, rope, wood, or something similar. You can also use this spell to create mineral objects such as stone, crystal, or metal. The object created must be no larger than a 5-foot cube, and the object must be of a form and material that you have seen before.
And the required components:
Components: V, S, M (a tiny piece of matter of the same type of the item you plan to create)
But the linked question tries to create gunpowder; a combination of "a fuel (charcoal), an oxidizer (saltpeter or niter), and a stabilizer (sulfur) to allow for a constant reaction". This is not only multiple types of matter, but different types; some vegetable, some mineral 2.
There is also no mention of the time being different; as in, using the shortest duration of all types used in the creation.
I would think that if the spell was to able to create mixed types it would have very different phrasing.
So is the Creation spell limited to only one type of matter at a time, or can it be a combination of matter/types?
And if it possible to create something with multiple/mixed types, how complex can the item be?
- Can they mix different elements of the same type like an apple and an orange to create a fruit salad?
- Can they create a leather coat with a fur lining and metal buttons? Or would they have to create each thing separately and sew them together by hand?
- How about a metal crown, with cloth padding on the interior and encrusted with gems?
- They can create iron, but can they also create it fused with carbon to create steel?
- People could be considered a combination of vegetable matter and minerals. Could a character create a corpse (nonliving object)?
1 I would also think that this creates only a single item (a rope), except for minerals it states "You can also use this spell to create mineral objects…". Otherwise the description sticks to singular object.
2 Admittedly, something like this could be done with multiple castings, each creating a specific type of matter. But the point of the question was do create a complete pile of gunpowder.