I believed this was straight forward, but I had a discussion with one of my players who didn’t see it the same way as I did.
According to the subclass features, at 3rd level:
[…] immediately after you use the Attack action with your astral arms on your turn, you can make one extra attack with your astral arms as a bonus action. The number of extra attacks increases when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to two at 11th level and three at 17th level.
Pretty straight forward: at level 3, you can make a total of two attacks (1A and 1BA), at level 11 three attacks (1A and 2BA) and at level 17 four attacks (1A and 3BA)
Then at level 5 as every martial class you get Extra Attack:
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
Also, at level 17 you get the “Complete Astral Self” feature, which provides the following benefit among other:
Astral Barrage. Whenever you use the Extra Attack feature to attack twice, you can instead attack three times using your astral arms.
The difference of opinion lies on whether the Extra Attack feature, means you are taking the Attack action. As such my player suggests that the astral self monk scales as follows:
- at 3rd level can make 2 attacks (1A and 1BA)
- at 5th level can make 4 attacks (1A + 1BA + 1 extra attack + 1 astral self attacks (1 per attack action taken) as BA)
- at 11th level can make 8 attacks (1A + 1 extra attack + 4 astral self attacks (2 per attack action taken) as BA)
- at 17th level can make 12 attacks (1A + 2 extra attack + 9 astral self attacks (3 per attack action taken) as BA)
First of all, that seems absurd, even if it satisfies my Jojo fantasy. The way I interpret is:
- at level 17th he could make 6 attacks (1A + 2 Extra attack + 3 astral self attacks as bonus action).
All of the instances above take into account the BA the monk would have needed to summon the astral self.
What are your thoughts? I feel that typing this out, solidified that the answer should be 6 attacks, but I would like to hear other people’s opinions on the matter.