I own a Rebel T6i and a Speedlite Yongnuo YN565EXIII. I’ve tried several times to trigger the flash off-camera (on a tripod with a softbox) and I’ve had some very unsatisfactory results.
With the speedlite on a tripod I’ve set it to ETTL slave mode (Sc mode). On the camera on the camera I went to
Flash Control >Built-in flash settings in there I’ve set the following settings:
- Flash firing:
- E-TTL II meter:
- FLash sync. speed in Av mode ->
Here’s a image of the flash settings as it is right now:
Buillt-in flash settings I have the following:
- Flash mode:
- Wireless func: (Set to the icon of the dedicated flash only)
- Firing Group:
- Exp. Comp:
Here are some images of my camera settings:
I have the sensor turned to me as I take shots of my speelite on a tripod. I’m literally taking pictures of the optical sensor:
Here’s how the speedlite it’s positioned:
I think it
s important to say that Im shooting on full manual mode. Now to the problems.
1) Most of the times when I use the pop up flash to trigger the speedlite, the built-in camera goes off, however the speedlite isn’t triggered, even though I’m pointing the built-in flash directly to the sensor at a distance of around 1.5 meters (about 5 feet I guess). The speedlite goes off on an estimate of one time every ten attempts. The batteries are new and I wait about 5 seconds between each new attempt.
2) When the speelite goes off, most of the time it doesn’t affect the exposure of the image. It’s like, it’s out of sync with the camera or something like that. My room it’s pretty dark, and even when the speedlite goes off the image it’s completely dark.
3) Sometimes (a good amount of times) the pop-up flash of my camera doesn
t go off even though its set to go off and my room it`s completey dark. Does the built-in flash has a recharge time or something like that?
I’ve also tried using the speedlite (and built in flash) on manual slave, instead of E-TTL slave, but got the same problems.
m trying to learn off-camera flash techniques and I was relying on the optical trigger, as I dont have a wireless one, so if anyone has a suggestion on how to fix this I`m eager to try.