What is the highest possible AC a character can get by themselves with no armor or a shield?
- Must be obtainable with a single character, by themselves, with no help from any other characters (allies, enemies, summons, etc.)
- Must be completely unarmored and not wearing a shield.
- Magic items are fine such as Ring/Cloak of Protection or Robes of the Archmagi.
- You may use any combination of classes and races from official sources, not including Unearthed Arcana. (You may use the versions of Eberron races as seen in Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberon as opposed to Rising from the Last War if you wish.)
- Character can be assumed to be level 20 with an epic boon if applicable to the build.
- Stats may be determined via point buy.
- Character does not need to be particularly viable in a game, this is pure theory crafting.
- You may have as much time as you need as long as it’s within a typical lifetime for a character. (So no abusing infinite readings of Manual of Quickness of Action or similar items, one or two (different) manuals may be considered acceptable.)
The best answer should contain both a permanent max unarmored AC as well as the highest you can get via spells if it’s higher (and still meets the above criteria).
The highest I can come up with is 24 for a level 20 barbarian with 20 DEX and 24 CON but I’m sure you guys can do better.