I will be travelling for a couple of days to remote regions of Laos.
I would like to take some kind of “emergency” food if nothing is around (or nothing trustworthy).
People with a sweet tooth have the perfect solution: Granola bars. But I really don’t like them – pretty much like any of this swee-ish stuff.
Things like dried sausages or Beef jerky goes the right direction but it lacks carbs – particularly some form of bread – without that I still feel hungry and these things do not work.
There are some things that include crackers (tuna salad or chicken salad) but crackers are too salty, to less carbs (same as chips) and set up my stomache rather than feeling full afterwards.
In Germany there are things like Pumpernickel: This (together with some sausage) would come close: It can be densely packed, exists even in canned (in military) has high energy and you feel full afterwards. The problem is that US people don’t like it that much so it’s hard to get in the US (particularly in small packages, not to mention canned version).
Most ideal would be some pizza-, burrito-, sausage- whatever stuff that is highly densely packed, durable and available.
What I’d be looking for would have the following properties:
- Savory taste: Pizza, burrito, Burger, Hot Dog etc but also Salami
- Readily available in the US
- Nothing that requires preparation or hot water
- Includes bread or at least some meaningful carbs
- Is densely and seperately packed (each portion), like a granola bar
- Is durable and good for a long time, even in hot or wet conditions (like canned food)
Any idea if something like this exists?