I’m trying to model/document very broadly understood dependencies between various component of deployed system. I could document each type of dependency separately, but I’d like to provide full overview, possibly very complicated, but in single place and ideally with ability to group entities by type. The following is an example of a system that I’d like to document:
- RDBMS, let’s say PostgreSQL
- CLIENT – Java-based data gathering service uploading information to the database
- SERVER – Java-based web application visualizing data from the database
I’d like to provide the following data:
- RDBMS is an external application, installed using file postgres-9.msi, on server 192.168.1.2, on Debian Linux 9.6, listening on port 5432, running as user ‘postgres’
- CLIENT is developed internally, installed using file client-1.0.deb, on server 192.168.1.3, on Debian Linux 9.6, running as user ‘client’, requires JAVA8, connects to RDBMS
- JAVA8 is an external application, installed using file jre-8u201.exe, is installed only as a dependency, installable on Windows10 and Debian 9.6
- SERVER is developed internally, installed using file server-1.0.deb, on server 192.168.1.4, on Debian Linux 9.6, running as user ‘server’, requires JAVA8, connects to RDBMS, listens on 443
What I’d like to see is e.g. a web page with information such as:
- servers – system, address, ports, software
- systems – version, servers where it is installed
- software – servers where it is installed, binary used for installation, version
- binaries – what system and other software is required
- addresses – what ports are opened, which server it is
- ports – addresses on which this port is opened, software that opened this port
… and so on and so forth.
Is there any software capable of reading such information in any format and create its representation in tabular format?
I use Enterprise Architect, but unfortunately I’m still not good enough at it so not only I’m unable to create such diagram with appropriate report, I don’t even know if it is possible at all.